Monday, June 05, 2006

Selachophobia

According to the Discovery Channel website, "selachophobia" is the scientific term for an abnormal and persistent fear of sharks. I wonder, who coined this term and when? Was it before or after Jaws came out? "Selachophobia" was not really in the limelight until the producers for Jaws successfully terrified the masses.

What is the most scary thing for a person going into the ocean, is it really a fear of sharks, or the fear of the unknown? I am not afraid of the ocean, but I get scared whenever I realize my visual field is very limited in the sea. My fear of anything starts kicking in at this point. I do not get scared in the dark in my bedroom, because I know precisely what is there. I am not afraid of drowning, because I always wear a life jacket and stay near the boat.

I remember snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef region. I was excited to see the delightful colours of marine life, and was fortunate enough to spot a huge sea turtle that allowed me to swim close to it. I started following this turtle, forgetting to check where I was going and my principle of "staying near the boat". Luckily the turtle swam toward the boat anyway. But between the short span of time when I realized that I was not watching my directions and when I saw that I was swimming to the boat, I had almost a spasm of fear that lasted just for seconds. I remembered this travel program featuring a group of Pacific islands, where the host, after finding a half bitten turtle while wading in shallow water, said "this is likely the work of a shark". In my mind the association between the present turtle and an unseen shark was quickly made, and I swam so fast towards the boat that I later considered having a go at serious swim-training. I also wondered, if there really was a shark, whether our army-assault grade boat would fly my way to save me, and run over Australia's national treasure. I will own that the fear I felt was perhaps a bit silly. But I don't think it's entirely just paranoia-I was in a wild part of Earth, where the rule of humans did not apply-marine life will not selectively harm only those who are bad citizens. As close in proximity to other people as I was, my immediate environment was one where survival was the rule.

Perhaps "selachophobia" is nothing more than our natural survival instincts-and the inclination to avoid danger-gone unchecked.

1 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Lucky Monkey said...

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing "abnormal" about a fear of sharks. Those killing machines as so good at what they do they haven't had to evolve in millions of years! When you rule the waves and strike fear into the hearts of all, you don't need no stinking evolution.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home